Monday, July 25, 2016

Learnings from The Book of F# by Dave Fancher

As you've probably guessed, I've been doing a lot of work with F# recently. A big part of those learnings was from The Book of F# by Dave Fancher (Amazon link).

The Book of F# by Dave Fancher
I set aside this month to dive deeper into F# (since I've been threatening to do it for a while but never put it high enough on my priority list). I started the month with Tomas Petricek's Real World Functional Programming, and that gave me a lot of things to think about. But as I got further in, I recognized that I really needed to get to the basics of F#. I was going through some samples and trying to explore a bit, but I felt like I was fumbling a bit.

This problem came to the forefront when I started working on the Euler Problems. I found that I was having a hard time knowing where to go next; I just didn't know enough about the language itself.

So, I put Tomas' book on hold (after 8 chapters), and picked up Dave's book. And that turned out to be exactly what I needed to do.

Starting with the Basics
I've picked up quite a few of the basics of F# from looking at samples and listening to other developers. But it has been rather hit-and-miss.

The Book of F# started right where I needed it to: how to use the tools. The first 2 chapters are short, but they are extremely useful when you're not familiar with the F# tools in Visual Studio.

Project Layout
One thing was file layout in F# projects. Because of the way that F# parses things, file order is important. Dave shows the various ways to add files and move them up and down in a project (something that you never have to do in C#).

Another part of that was how to use modules and namespaces. This is something I could have used about a month ago when I was working with my Digit Recognizer project. In that project, I needed to take F# code that was in a script and move it into a dll that I could use from a C# project. I fumbled my way through that (and also asked some advice from Mathias Brandewinder when I saw him at NDC Oslo). But this book really helped to formalize that.

Using F# Interactive
The other thing I really appreciated were the instructions on how to use F# Interactive in Visual Studio (I've been using Visual Studio as opposed to the command-line tools. I may start using those in the future.)

Particularly, Dave shows the various commands: #help, #quit, #load, #r, #l, and my favorite #time. I've been using #time quite a bit when I've been looking at how to improve performance when solving the Euler Problems.

I'm also glad that Dave points out the "it" value that gets automatically assigned by F# Interactive. I've found myself using that a few times to get some more information about something that was just evaluated.

One Parameter, One Return
Another thing that I appreciate is the statement that every function has one parameter and one return value. This is a great starting way of stating this (which I clumsily tried to describe when talking about partial application).

By thinking about functions this way, it makes partial application and composition a bit more clear -- although I still have a long way to go with function composition.

Semi-Colons (or Not)
Another one of the basics that I really appreciated had to do with the use of semi-colons. Because white-space is significant in F#, there are times where semi-colons are optional.

For example, when declaring a record type, you don't need semi-colons between the labels if you declare them on separate lines. These two declarations are equivalent:


This is also true when creating records with assignment pairs. I ran into this issue when I was going through an example from somewhere else. I was putting things on a single line and just leaving spaces, and that didn't work. When I added semi-colons it did. But the example didn't have semi-colons (because things were on separate lines).

This cleared up quite a bit of confusion for me.

Lots, Lots, More
Obviously, the book covers a lot more information about F# than what I've listed here. These are just a few of the things that have been tripping me up lately, so they were especially appreciated.

After going through The Book of F#, I know I've got a much better grip on the language.

A Bit of Fun
Another thing that I appreciated about The Book of F# is that the samples use rather nerdy references. This included references from "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and "Doctor Who" (in addition to a list of Arnold Schwarzenegger movies).

What I liked about the references is that they were just there (they weren't pointed out). So, if you had no idea who Rory Williams was, it wouldn't detract from the example. But if you do, then it's a nice nod to a bit of fun.

Wrap Up
The Book of F# has been a great help in getting me a formalized version of the basics of F# that I needed to move forward. A big thanks to Dave Fancher for going to the work of putting this together. (And Dave's a really great guy if you ever get a chance to meet him in person).

The Book of F# also makes a good reference. The material is well organized, and I've found myself flipping to the chapter on Collections to remind myself of a particular function.

Overall, this is a great place to get a solid foundation.

Happy Coding!

No comments:

Post a Comment