Sunday, April 30, 2017

May & June 2017 Speaking Engagements

My speaking schedule has been a bit slow lately, but things are picking up in May and June.

Friday-Saturday, May 5-6, 2017
CodeStock
Knoxville, TN
Event Site
Topics:
o I'll Get Back to You: Task, Await, and Asynchronous Methods in C#
o Becoming a Social Developer: A Guide for Introverts

I've been wanting to go to CodeStock for several years, so I was really happy when I learned I was selected to speak this year. On top of that, it's the 10th anniversary of CodeStock. I'm looking forward to meeting lots of new people and also catching up with some friends that I haven't seen in a while. The line-up of topics and speakers looks great. There's a lot of fun and learning in store.

Monday-Friday, May 15-19, 2017
SDD 2017
London, England
Event Site
Topics:
o I'll Get Back to You: Task, Await, and Asynchronous Methods in C#
o Becoming a Social Developer: A Guide for Introverts
o Learn to Love Lambdas (and LINQ, Too!)
o DI Why? Getting a Grip on Dependency Injection
o Unit Testing Makes Me Faster: Convincing Your Boss, Your Co-Workers, and Yourself
o Clean Code: Homicidal Maniacs Read Code, Too!

As you can see, I'll be pretty busy during the Software Design & Development Conference. These are all topics that I love to talk about, and I'm really excited that I get to share them with a new group of people. I've heard some great things about this event. The speaker line up is pretty incredible; check out the full list.

Thursday-Saturday, June 1-3, 2017
Music City Code
Nashville, TN
Event Site
Topics:
o Awesome C#: Unit Testing (Half-Day Workshop)
o Design Patterns: Not Just for Architects
o Unit Testing Makes Me Faster: Convincing Your Boss, Your Co-Workers, and Yourself

I had a really great time at Music City Code last year. I met lots of people and also started some lasting relationships. This time around, I have the opportunity to give a half-day workshop on unit testing. I'm really looking forward to sharing some of the hurdles I've run into as well as some techniques to make testing easier and more effective.

A Note About Topics
You might have noticed that I tend to do the same talks over and over. (I add 1 or 2 new topics each year.) That's because these are topics that I struggled with as a developer. And they are topics that developers still struggle with today. I do my best to help people over the hurdles that I had to get over. I know that when things are less mysterious, they suddenly get much more exciting to me, and I try to encourage that in everyone who comes to one of my talks.

I used to feel bad about talking about the same things over and over again. But I've found that I'm really effective at making these topics understandable. And there are always new people to show them to.

A Look Back
In April, I had the chance to speak at the Global Scrum Gathering in San Diego, CA. I got to share how "Unit Testing Makes Me Faster". Here are a few pictures taken by Lynn Winterboer and Scott Dunn.



Thanks to Lynn (@agilelynn) for lots of tweets during the talk. She even grabbed a couple videos of me showing videos:
https://twitter.com/agilelynn/status/851499685273579520

https://twitter.com/agilelynn/status/851506435913547776

A Look Ahead
There's lots of stuff coming up for the rest of the year. In July, I'll be headed to Detroit.Code() in Detroit MI. In August, I'm back at KCDC in Kansas City MO. In September, I'll be at Visual Studio Live Chicago in Chicago IL. In October, I'll be at TechBash in Pocono Manor PA and Visual Studio Live Anaheim (which is really in Garden Grove CA). And there's still a few tentative events on my calendar.

In the midst of all this, I'm relocating to Washington state in June. I'll be looking for local events, MeetUps, and user groups in the Pacific Northwest. So if you'd like me to come to your event, be sure to drop me a line.

Hope to see you at an event soon!

Happy Coding!


No comments:

Post a Comment